-->

Monday, March 12, 2018

March 12. Day 71. An exercise in truth


"Would I lie to you? Would I lie to you honey? Would I say something that wasn't true? I'm asking you honey, would I lie to you?" So asked The Eurythmics in their song unsurprisingly named Would I Lie to You? 
Truth and trust. They are really important in a relationship.
They are really important to a journalist. Today I took a group of really motivated final year journalism students to the ABC at South Bank for a briefing ahead of next week's World Science Festival.
These are the future protectors of the fourth estate and the defenders of truth.
After the meeting I walked through South Bank stopping at one of my favourite places the Aquativity Park.
I love the giant buckets that randomly spill their contents over anyone standing underneath.
There was a young couple, the sort of couple that radiate new relationship standing nearby. "Go on," she said. "Stand under it. I'll tell you when to move. It's a game of trust. "
So he stood under it and he got soaked.
They laughed because that's still funny when you are in a new relationship.
To be fair to her - although I'm sure he'll never believe it - it was an accident.
He was standing under one bucket and she was watching it intently waiting for the fall. It was the one next to it that dumped its load soaking him. I nearly offered to play spotter for them. I could have added: "Trust me. I'm a journalist"


























No comments:

Post a Comment