-->

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

February 6. Day 37. Flights of fancy

The wonderful thing about holidays is that they give you time and space to think and dream.
My mother, who can barely swim, announced that she would really have loved to surf. No one said dreams had to be practical. Let your mind go wild.
My mind turns to far more practical matters even if no more likely to ever come to fruition. Today's plan involved an App, tentatively named Ignore No More.
The inspiration for this came during my morning walk along the beach. I was trying to communicate something important to my son, something such as please throw a ball to the dog or incoming wave. Without line of sight, he had no idea I was trying to talk to him. It's a situation that is played out over and over again. The headphones are a cone of silence. I battle. I used to wish there was a way of screening out the noise coming out of whichever device he was using.
Be careful what you wish for.
Headphones get rid of the noise but they also screen out all chance social contact. So to the App. I want to go all airline pilot and be able to break in to whatever he is listening to. For dramatic effect, I'd start my interruption with "This is Your Mother speaking... " Genius, right? Parents of young people the world over would be falling over each other to get it. Young people would take 2.6 seconds to find a way of over-riding it. Still, there's no harm in dreaming.





























No comments:

Post a Comment