-->

Thursday, November 9, 2017

November 9. Day 313. Technically speaking, it's awesome

Guess what? I am a theatre tragic. I know. This piece of news comes as a stunning surprise (not).
I love every bit of the theatrical process. And tonight I saw one of the best examples of the craft, The Wizard of Oz, at QPAC. I left the theatre singing "we're off to see the Wizard".
Richard Rodgers, of Rodgers and Hammerstein fame, is right. "No-one leaves the theatre humming the scenery".
But he's also wrong. Implicit in that statement is that compared to the music, the set is irrelevant. Wrong, wrong, wrong. The music might be in your head but the lights, the sound, the set design, the special effects all of those things combine to create the awesomeness that is live theatre. The technical production team are the unsung heroes of the stage.
Today I wandered through an exhibit of the work of graduating QUT Technical production students. There was the lighting and wizardry as well as the models that brought productions to life. It was a wonderful thing. I'm sure I'll see their work on stages across the country in the future. Unfortunately, there's every chance I won't know because are the behind the scene magic makers of the theatre. So right now I'm taking the opportunity to say thanks for what you have done and what you are about to do.









No comments:

Post a Comment