-->

Friday, September 8, 2017

September 8. Day 251. Festivals and festering

Debra Jobson (foreground) and Ella Rubeli before the panel session began


It would be fair to say today didn't go to plan. In my mind, it was going like this. 1) Sleep in. 2) Spend the morning reading over material and prepping for a Brisbane Writers Festival panel I'd agreed to moderate after lunch 3) Moderate panel in a stylish and clearly well planned fashion. The day actually went like this. Woken at 7am by a phone call from my neighbour Margaret saying she was being released from hospital at 10am and asking could I pick her up. Fruitless conversations with hospital expressing concern about the readiness for this. Collecting the things needed for her discharge and return home. Present at hospital at the appointed time. Wait. Wait. Wait. Try to do panel prep on the phone. Wait. The discharge papers were printed. All that was needed was the change the dressing and we would be on our way. The old dressing was removed. The doctor, the nurse and I looked in horror. I'm not trained but that did not look good. At all. There was a lot of action, swabs and antibiotic drips and more wound care. I brought the bags I had taken to the car back into the room, unpacked everything and headed off to the festival. Journalists Debra Jobson and Ella Rubeli were such interesting women with such great insights into the changing face of journalism the discussion went smoothly despite how very un-smooth I felt. Finally my plan for the day got back on track. Home for an afternoon nap with the dogs. The best made plans of mice and men (or more accurately Margaret and me).




No comments:

Post a Comment