-->

Monday, September 11, 2017

September 11. Day 254. Republican movement


There's a theatre republic being erected right in front of my office building. In terms of a republic, one devoted to theatre suits me down to the ground. But in the bigger picture, the republic I really want is an Australian republic. I find it absolutely insane that a big grown up country such as ours has a foreigner as its head of state. I have nothing against The Queen, but she's not our Queen. It becomes even more insane when you consider all of the hoo hah in recent weeks about federal politicians being ineligible to be in the parliament because of tenuous dual citizenship links. So our parliamentarians fall foul of Section 44 of the Constitution that prevents anyone who is "a subject or citizen or entitled to the rights of privileges of a foreign power" to stand for parliament. But we can have as our constitutional head a foreign citizen. Come on Australia, let's get real about this. I don't buy the "if it's not broke don't fix it argument". My ceiling fan may not be broken but does that mean it's wrong to want air conditioning? No. I just want a better way of cooling myself just like I want an Australian as my head of government. Time to grow up people.


No comments:

Post a Comment