-->

Friday, August 25, 2017

August 25. Day 237. Ladies who lunch

 
 The birds in our street were not happy today. Margaret was missing from the feeding station. It's Friday. Margaret, who has a very fixed regime, does not go out on Fridays. That's the day Meals on Wheels brings the weekend supplies. The Meals on Wings service is also supposed to be fully operational. Not today. Since the fall and the subsequent hospitalisation Margaret's mobility has not been good where not been good is defined as even more dreadful than usual. I just could not see her negotiating her front steps to head out by taxi to the hairdresser. It's an important part of that fixed regime for a woman who has her hair washed a set once a week. Thursdays equal hairdresser. So I offered to take her but Thursday teaching commitments meant Friday was the only option. She insisted on buying me lunch in return and I'm not going to refuse fish and chips. So we were gone for quite some time. The avian welcoming party on our return was quite special. I think there was quite literally a pecking order. By the time I'd delivered Margaret and the groceries safely inside the kookaburras, butcher birds, magpies, crows, turkeys and noisy miners had all stopped by. Seems so unfair. For me there was no such thing as a free lunch. I didn't see the birds having to put out. Still it was a small price to pay for the peace of mind of knowing her first venture out after the hospital stay was a safe one.






























No comments:

Post a Comment