-->

Thursday, May 18, 2017

May 18. Day 138. A dog of a day



Famous last words: "What's the worst thing that could happen?' The story goes like this. I've spent most of the week in bed, coughing up a lung. The medical certificate on my fridge says bronchitis and advises against work until tomorrow. I'm not especially good at following doctor's orders. So for a few hours every afternoon I've dragged myself into work. Today was following approximately the same program. As I stumbled out of bed, the dogs who have played nurse maids for the week, looked up expectantly. I read their minds. They wanted to get out. It seemed only fair. I was only going to be sitting in a newsroom editing scripts and mentoring students. The dogs would behave. What's the worst thing that could happen? Turns out my imagination isn't that good. We'd only just arrived when the newsroom door slid open. Standing right in front of me and my dogs were The Dean, The Head of School, The Floor Warden and Michelle Guthrie, the ABC's Managing Director. Holy expletive.  Ms Guthrie had addressed a forum on campus and was on a tour of the facilities. Everyone laughed it off. After a bit, I went downstairs and saw George, the big burly cameraman.
And then there was the second thing I couldn't have foreseen happening. He was down on the floor inviting the dogs to jump all over him. They happily obliged. Perhaps there are worse things.





No comments:

Post a Comment