-->

Friday, April 7, 2017

April 7. Day 97. A rose by any other name


 A rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But then again a poo by any other name still smells like sh*t. My point, though it may not be apparent, is that even if you are not a Montague or a Capulet names come with baggage attached. Though not a perfect science a name gives an indication of age, class and ethnicity. But it's more than that. We make judgments of what a James  or Jane will be like because of Jameses or Janes we have known before. We just do. So when my friend Al was running potential names by me for her new bundle of joy I admit I screwed my nose up at a couple. They had a bad association. But when she said Owen I smiled. the young man next door is Owen is a delightful bloke and he's about the only Owen I know. Big tick. Also I happen to like vowel names especially those starting with O. Obviously Al likes vowels two because she now has an Elliott and an Owen. And if this new little man turns out anything like his big brother she should be well pleased. Playing "night nanny" to little Elliott is rather delightful. He's a special little boy who even makes sue I don't miss my dogs too much by climbing all over me in bed and licking my face "just like Winkle". You can't ask for much more than that.





No comments:

Post a Comment