-->

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

September 6. Day 250. Feeling Wicked


I sometimes wonder how Drama Teen would have passed senior school had it not been for his passion for musical theatre. Time and time again show tunes were used as the basis for some assignment or other in English, religion and probably more besides. At the top of my head I can remember Empty Chairs at  Empty Tables in an English oral about war. I Am What I Am got a run in a Study of Religion self reflection piece. A couple of songs from Avenue Q also made an appearance. But by far the "go to" musical for inspiration was Wicked. On paper Wicked is a Wizard of Oz prequel but it is actually a stunning clever story about populist politics, political manipulation, scapegoating and the gullibility of electors. It's a story about the length those in power will go to in order to protect their power and their willingness to sacrifice anyone who stands in their way. It asks who is actually Wicked and what myths we are being sold. I love Wicked
A favourite number is Popular. Consider this section: "Think of
Celebrated heads of state or
Specially great communicators
Did they have brains or knowledge?
Don't make me laugh!
They were popular!" That pretty much sums up politics today. But don't take my word for it. Ipswich Musical Theatre's version of Wicked opens on Friday. From what I saw at the technical rehearsal tonight it will be something to behold. It would be Wicked to deny yurself the opportunity to be there. 











No comments:

Post a Comment