-->

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

May 10. Day 131. Glass half empty

It was known as daylight robbery. For 150 years the British taxed windows - the more windows, the more the tax. We think that tax was abolished in 1851 because campaigners saw it as a tax on light. Yeah, sort of until some bright spark decided that houses should be "really" bright and airy with glass everywhere. As someone whose house features rather a lot of glass I can tell you there's a new form of window tax. I'm frequently taxed by problem of just how to clean all that glass. Occasionally there is a variation on that theme: what king's ransom am I going to have to pay to hire someone to clean those windows. It's enough to turn a girl into a glass (or perhaps even wallet) half full person. I rather suspect I am not alone. At least I don't need to enlist an abseiler to clean my windows like the owners of the apartments just near my work. That, I assume, would be particularly taxing.




No comments:

Post a Comment