-->

Friday, April 1, 2016

April 1. Day 92. Happy Birthday to me


 It almost sounded like a bad taste and badly timed April Fool's Day joke when people asked what I was doing on my birthday and I said "going to a funeral". While comedians will say that no topic is off limits to make jokes about, timing is everything. Also, if you are going to make a joke you have to be funny and I find nothing much to laugh about at funerals. I do, however, find them to be important. They are a chance to celebrate a life. They are a chance to share memories and stories and to let those left behind know that there are people who love them and care. Today's service did that perfectly. There was the right amount of laughter and tears in a beautiful no-fuss sort of service that was just right for a no fuss sort of bloke. I will have other birthdays (well that's the plan) but this was the only chance to say goodbye. And later there was time to get together with family and friends for a meal and a drink because there's nothing like a funeral to remind you that life's too short not to make the most of these opportunities.





No comments:

Post a Comment