-->

Monday, October 26, 2015

October 26. Day 299. The big picture

I'm clearly detail orientated and not a big picture type of person. Actually, I'm not sure that describes me at all - until you put a camera in my hand. At that point my focus (pun intended) is on the minute. I carry two lenses - a zoom and a wide angle. I'd say about 95 per cent of all the photos I take are with the zoom. If I could eat only one meal for the rest of my life it would be some pasta dish. If I could use only one lens forever it would be the zoom. This detail focus was brought home to me today at Roma Street Parklands. I took a brief walk through the gardens at lunch time today. Shortly after my arrival I noticed a woman with a similar camera also taking photos. At several places in the parklands we ended up at the same spot. I was watching her because I didn't want to accidentally walk into her shot or be seen to be copying her. Turns out there wasn't much danger of that. When she took a photo of a flower garden, I took a photo of a butterfly. She snapped the lilly pond. I focused on the dragonfly. She lined up the fountain pool and I zoomed in on the water as it spurted from one dome. Just once in the whole place did I pull back from the big close up. I rather liked the mist created by the fine sprinklers in the fern gully. I'd be really curious to look at her album from today. My bet is you wouldn't even know we were at the same place. I'm okay with that. The Parklands are a delight and her album, while very different from mine, is quite likely to be amazing. I know I would benefit from trying to get the big picture but I just don't have it in me. Either you are a big picture person or not.









No comments:

Post a Comment