-->

Thursday, June 18, 2015

June 18. Day 169. Colour my life

I started reading The Book Thief today. Actually I've owned the book for about five years and I've given it a go about once a year in that time. I figure all the people who say it is excellent can not be wrong but each time I've found it hard to get into. So each time I've put it aside for "later". But this time I'm a woman on a mission. Drama Teen, in the fine tradition of school students everywhere, is whinging about the novel set for next term. So I issued a challenge. If you stop the "oh poor me", I'll read it too. Perhaps I'm in a better mood today but I found the opening pages compelling. Especially the bit about colour in the prologue:
"People observe the colors of a day only at its beginnings and ends, but to me it's quite clear that a day merges through a multitude of shades and intonations, with each passing moment.
A single hour can consist of thousands of different colors.
Waxy yellows, cloud-spat blues. Murky darknesses. In my line of work, I make it a point to notice them"
I used to not notice colour but I find that waking around with a camera around your neck changes that. You do notice light and shade. Colour and shadow. light and dark, the different tones and how they change through the day. You look at things through fresh eyes, through the eyes of a toddler. I have got another dose of baby love with another visit to my friend Alison and baby Elliott home from Singapore for the summer holidays. We went for a short walk and Elliott's joy at the simple was a delight. He was excited by a street light and a dog and a bird and the stars and moon. He was seeking the things the big people take for granted. He was seeing the colours.Reminder to self. Open your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment