-->

Thursday, January 22, 2015

January 22. Day 22, Take a closer look

Brisbane City Council, I have my eye on you. This is the last time I take one of your innocuous looking "Community Newsletters" and safely file it in the big yellow bin marked recycling. Next time I will take a closer look. To a "normal" person (or even to me) a newsletter is not the same as a notification of a public consultation. If you actually want to know what people think about a proposal to ban right hand turns into the only access street to an area then the best way to find out might be to send out an official looking notification. A document titled community newsletter which looks just like every other piece of council-branded self publication is a tinsy tiny bit deceptive, in my book. Luckily for me, I did not let this one slip through the cracks. I objected and because that's the type of person I am, today sent an email to 120 of my nearest and dearest neighbours (most of whom I haven't met) and encouraged them to do the same. There may or may not have been a phone call or two thrown in. The reaction was pretty much universal. "They want to do what?!. You're kidding me. How do I object". Oh, and I contacted my councillor with a copy of my objection, as you do. I am not for a moment suggesting that a letterbox drop just before Christmas is a deliberate ploy to limit feedback but as a work colleague of mine is fond of saying "just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean the bastards aren't out to get you"/

No comments:

Post a Comment