-->

Thursday, August 22, 2013

August 22. Day 234. Does a one-legged duck swim in circles?

Does a one-legged duck swim in circles? It's one of those rhetorical questions in the same line as "Is the Pope Catholic?" or "Do bears shit in the woods?" that is often put in response to a question where the answer is yes, obviously.
But while I know the Pope is Catholic and I'm pretty sure bears shit in the woods I have it on reliable authority that one-legged ducks do not swim in circles. A vet friend told me they learned very quickly to adapt and today I saw it for my own eyes.
Rumple and I were down at the University of Queensland lakes for the walk again today and to photograph the ducks. I stopped to talk to an older bloke who was sitting looking out over the water.
"It's amazing how well a duck can do with only one leg," he said. Until that point I hadn't noticed a one-legged duck. So I looked more closely. "Animals are better than humans at just getting on with it."
Yep, I considered. So called lower life forms are even able to grow back bits that drop off.
But as I walked off I thought about it further. I think we do adapt. We can learn to deal with the new normal and get on with it.
At least I hope so. Of late things have not been travelling smoothly. I do feel like I've been swimming around in circles. But hopefully with time I can and will be back in the air. *Note, only one of these ducks is lacking a limb. I'll let you work out which one.

No comments:

Post a Comment