-->

Friday, June 14, 2013

June 14. Day 165. There's a place for us

"There's a place for us,
Somewhere a place for us.
Peace and quiet and open air
Wait for us
Somewhere."


I was almost moved to tears today. There is something really, really beautiful about a choir of young male voices and today parents were invited to sit in on a performance a small group of young men at my son's school have been working on this week with staff from the Griffith University's Musical Theatre course.
They were singing Somewhere from West Side Story supported by a bit of action from the stage show. It's a beautiful song and an awesome opportunity the school offers its Year 10 boys. 
It's Immersion week and the boys have all been given the opportunity to spend an intensive week totally devoted to something they believe might be a career option. There are boys involved in robotics, boys in Mount Isa looking at mining and boys studying the ecology on Moreton Island.
For Theatre Boy (pictured at the front) a week with experts working on a musical theatre piece with other like-minded individuals is pretty much as good as it gets.
I love the fact that schools are now encouraging and fostering such a diverse range of interests and going above and beyond to engage students in education.
I think that's why I found today so special. The singing was delightful but the sentiment was spot on too.
"There's a place for us,
A time and place for us.
Hold my hand and we're halfway there.
Hold my hand and I'll take you there
Somehow,
Some day,
Somewhere"

1 comment:

  1. Way cοol! Some extremelу νаlid ρoints!
    I appreciate you writіng this post plus the rest οf thе wеbѕіte іѕ
    very gοod.

    Also visit my webpagе: MintedPoker Bonus

    ReplyDelete