-->

Friday, March 29, 2013

March 29. Day 88. Photography for dummies

As I boarded the shuttle bus from the Redcliffe Showgrounds to the Festival of the Sails at Suttons Beach, a woman commented on the impressive camera around my neck.
She told me she had a PhD is camera use where PhD stood for Push Here Dummy. Appearances, I assured her, could be deceptive. The camera was impressive. The photographer was not. Almost all the time I use the Push Here Dummy automatic method. Yes, there are manual settings but that would require reading the manual.
Today, as it turned out, I didn't even get to push the f***ing button because doing so would have required taking the memory card out of the computer and putting it back in the camera. That didn't actually happen so the only button I got to push was on my iPhone.
But given it was a beautiful day, there was nothing to lose. Kite flying, beach cricket, sand sculpting, swimming, rock climbing and fresh sea air, it would have been churlish not to do what all the other families at Redcliffe were doing and just enjoy the day.
So I persevered and did the best I could with what I had. While I don't have a PhD, I do have a Research Masters and in the first semester we joined with the PhD students in a one research methods seminar. I remember just one take home message from that semester-long torture. The first presenter opened with this thought: "Really stupid people get Masters and PhD degrees. The difference between those who graduate and those who don't is not how smart they are but how prepared they are to persevere, to stick with it". So I could have come home with nothing but I stuck with it. Sponge Bob Sand Pants by sand sculptor Dennis Massoud may not be the best photo I've ever taken but it's better than nothing and that's exactly what I would have achieved if I'd taken my bat and ball and gone home. So today I award myself the Photography for Dummies prize. If the lens cap fits...

12 comments:

  1. Iphone or not, you still take incredible pictures, you just capture things I would never see. I love seeing what you discover next

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan these are amazing! I love the story, amazing what natural light can do for any photograph!You always manage to find the most inspiring shots to take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a brilliant photo and I love sand sculptures. I actually managed to get an action shot for my Country Kids this week. I'm always in awe of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant photo, and totally something I would have done re leaving the memory card behind! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great photo. I only have a point and click camera because anything else would be wasted on me. I am glad your phone let you capture the memories of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picture and the little tale made me laugh too :) Us Brits are very jealous of your lovely warm, sunny weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #how fantastic! My boys would love that, obsessed as they are with Sponge Bob! #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sand sculpting, definitely not something for dummies to do! I'd kick myself if I forgot the SD card, I feel for you. Pretty damn good photo for an iPhone though!

    Nipping over from the Country Kids linky.

    ReplyDelete