-->

Saturday, February 18, 2012

February 18. Day 49. Rooftop Reads

  “Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.”
― Arnold Lobel

Books piled to the ceiling is one thing. Books which are the ceiling is another. 
Like most people, for me, research generally equals Google. But there are times when you realise that nothing beats a book and nothing beats the knowledge of a librarian.  So when the cry went out "Mum can you help? I need a poem about bullying for English" followed by "Mum, I have to choose the book for club book and it has to be a romance" naturally I went to Google. I was getting nowhere. And then it stuck me. I work at a university that teaches both Education and Creative Writing and it has a well stocked library with great librarians. Problem solved. Yes, young man there are places other than Google to look for the answers. Let's go. The library has recently had a massive refurbishment and at the top of a new grand central staircase is a ceiling made entirely of hardcover books mounted with their spines out. It's incredibly effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment